WORTH EVERY PENNY!!! My goodness, where do I even begin?! I must start by saying, a private chartered yacht vacation is not something I ever even knew existed until some great friends told us all about it! My husband and I just KNEW we had to try it. I’ve only ever taken one cruise in my life and didn’t really love it; so, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I can now honestly say whether you love or hate cruises does not matter! A private charter is a completely different experience! Be prepared to never want to cruise (on a giant vessel with thousands of strangers) ever again!
We flew into St. Thomas out of Atlanta and just as soon as we grabbed our luggage off the carousel, our driver scooped us off and we headed for the short (10 minute) drive to the marina where Capt. Vince and Judy greeted us with the biggest welcomes! Once on board Chaos Interrupted we were given time to get settled into our rooms. I was so afraid that I would feel claustrophobic (I’m tall enough that I should’ve played basketball) but couldn’t believe how spacious the rooms are! The bed is about hip-height (which allows for bag storage underneath) but you can still sit up while sitting on the bed! Each room has their own bathrooms, small closet and a couple of drawers/storage spots, too! Once we were all settled, our group all met on the fly-bridge for “yappy-hour” and the official relaxing began!
Over the course of the next 7 days we cruised around St. Thomas and St. John staying in a different bay each night. Each bay had its own special character that you’ll never forget. We ate Pizza Pi VI off a that has been converted into a pizzeria (what!?!!)- this was after a day of diving, snorkeling, turtle spotting, and having fun identifying all the sea life. We made the quick float from boat to shore another day just for the cutest little beach bar that serves a famous island favorite – The Painkiller (Capt. Vince makes a pretty mean Pain Killer, too!)! Another day we all enjoyed the swim-up bar at Lime-Out (the Ceviche Taco is the perfect afternoon treat on a hot day!!!). Oh, and I can’t forget my favorite experience – the hour we spent swimming with and observing two massive (4 ft.!) Loggerhead Sea Turtles in just 15 ft of water in Maho Bay!!! You just never get to see them so comfortably in their own environment like that in the states or Keys!!!
I have to mention the perfect mix of boat, water, and land activities is all planned out for you by Judy! On land we hiked (more like a flat walk along the most gorgeous shoreline) to an old sugar plantation, drove past wild donkeys on fun bus ride up to the Windmill Bar which has the world’s best sunset and shopped in the cutest little villas and even danced in the streets to local nightlife music! SO MUCH FUN!!!
What I really love is how these two work together as a team! The planning was all done by Judy – she reaches out before the trip to ensure you’ll love her menu, that they have your favorite drinks on board and they try their hardest to fulfill all of your snacking requests (island grocery shopping is NOT like the USA). This is truly the trip of a lifetime and something you, your loved ones, and your friends will never forget and be talking about for the rest of your lives!!! You’ll want to book your next trip before you even finish the first one!
– You truly will spend most of your time in your bathing suit and a coverup! I came home with too many outfits that were never touched. Wet clothes can also be hung to dry off the side of the boat day and night, so you really don’t need much!
– The deck towels on board are Turkish-towels which double as a coverup! Regular towels are provided in the bathrooms – don’t pack any!
– Pack a GoPro if you have one!!!
– Enjoy game-night around the table in the evenings before bed! Vince and Judy have a selection of fun games aboard!
– Try new things!!!
– Jake the Boat Dog will be your best friend if you bring him a rawhide 😛
– For me (I have an old foot injury), sneakers were the best option for the Annabel Plantation walk/hike but my hubs wore flip flops. If you think you may want sneakers, pack ONE pair. We never used our water shoes though.
– AT&T cell service was great – if you need to check in at home and we did not incur any roaming or international charges (USVI).